Pages

May 18, 2009

Ekphrasic

It is sort of like “Object Writing”, Jannie Funster brought up this term. I said sorta and sort of are the same word. Ekphrasic poetry is where someone writes a poem that was inspired by or to expresses the feelings / emotions of a piece of art, either a painting or sculpture. Back in April for the Poetry Day Challenge I wrote one such poem. But it was not just the challenge that led me to do this as I had also been to a reading that had a slide show of art photos. It was part of the Blanton Poetry Project.

And now here is the painting (not part of the reading) and the poem I wrote…

.............................Allegory of The Five Senses by Gérard de Lairesse (1640-1711)

Joy

To see life’s reflections in the convex mirrors of your eyes
So easy is your touch to the fallen bird of a desolate field
To smell a white velvet rose is to inhale your blessed scent
So sweet is your engaging taste it is a moist fruit upon dry lips
To hear your soothing laughter as a soft ring of a triangle
So too is the rebirth of my joy in each vivid thought of you





And of course my beloved added a bit of inspiration to this piece. Happy Birthday my love

3 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

That is one great love poem!!

The part about the fallen bird on the desolate field made me cry. So you've done your job well.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

That painting is very inspirational.

sheila said...

Wow, you wrote that? Awesome! Talented! And happy b day to hubby!