Pages

October 15, 2008

Clap your hands

You know how many times I have said that I try to live life to the fullest cause I believe you never know just how long you have left. Be grateful for what you are given and don’t do things that you may regret. I’m one of those people that will answer the question, how are you today, with a reply such as “Wonderful I woke up breathing again and you just can’t beat that.” Of which I am truly happy about. Recently I was gently reminded to stay appreciative for the gift of breathing. Here is the story…

I was headed out to work much like any other normal average ho-hum sort of day. I started my little truck and as I was closing the door I noticed the pretty roses on the bush by the porch. I said out loud (I do talk out loud to myself) ‘I aught ta cut ‘em and take ‘em with me’, cause that’s how I talk. Really, but please note I didn’t say “wif”. So anyway I hopped out and grabbed my pruning shears from the table on the porch and cut a couple of stems. See pretty,



smell mmmm, rosey. When out of the corner of my eye I noticed a bit of a movement. I backed up and Oh My God! I tossed my hands up in the air and said, “Oh Shit! Oh Shit, oh shit” and with each phrase I took another large step back. Hey, I’m sure you would have too. See picture…

See I told you. Makes your tummy all kinda flippy floppy, huh? Click it if you want to make it bigger just like my experience was. I had just made a cut not more than six inches away from that creepy thing’s fangs. Thank goodness it was what some folks call a chilly morning. Y’all know snakes don’t move so fast when it’s chilly. It did not get me and I get to breath for another day or so. I know what you all are thinking, ‘she actually went in the house and grabbed the camera instead of a shovel or her gun?” No, I carry the camera with me all the time and as for the gun you can’t see it cause it is concealed. Back up you PETA people eaters.

Now I know y’all are wondering just what the heck kind of snake is that, unless you know already. Well it’s a Copperhead they are venomous and sometimes deadly. I wish I could say this was my first experience with a snake just like that at our home, but alas it was not. Maybe I will post about that story another time, trust me when I say it was just as stomach turning if not more so.

And if you’re happy and you know it clap your hands! {clapping, clapping and still clapping around here}

6 comments:

Cecilia said...

Oh my goodness, Paige! A copperhead! I saw a small "garden variety" (or at least that's what I was told) snake one time, totally freaked out and scooted as quietly & quickly as I could. You even took a picture! What a brave person you are!

Jeni said...

I don't care what kind of snake it is -PETA or no PETA -the only kind I like are dead ones and I'm not really all that crazy about them either!
Glad you saw it in time though. And, pretty neat that you were able to take a picture of it there. DOn't know that I'd be able to hold the camera still long enough to do that!

Linda said...

Ugh. Copperheads. When I was a kid I somehow managed to put a passel of baby 'heads in a glass jar and brought them to my mom, who was napping after her night shift as an icu nurse. I had no idea they were poisonous. Glad you escaped with just a photo. Great story. Peace, Linda

kimmyk said...

oh hell no paige!
hell to the no.

pretty flowers indeed but that copperhead? *shivers*

i'm glad it didn't bitcha. omg. didja make sure it was gone when you came home?

... Paige said...

Here's the funny thing I can hardly go out the front door and not look for snakes.
When I took the photo I was very far away. They make zoom on cameras for a reason and this was one of them thar reasons.

karen said...

Paige, that looks more like a corn snake. Is that his head on the right? (can't click the pic) cuz CH's don't have markings like that on their heads, they are a unicolor copper. Also his markings look like a corn snake's. We have 2.